Sunny San Diego, America’s Finest City, is an absolute dream! But we thought it would be exciting to ask San Diegans their rules for surviving this city. You all had so much to say, and we decided to pick our favorite tips and rules to help your fellow San Diegans!
1. I can’t say enough about layering.
2. The following when speaking to a native :
Price Club = Costco
The Del Mar Fair = San Diego County Fair
The Wild Animal Park = San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Qualcomm/Jack Murphy means “that new stadium in Mission Valley.”
3. There are no miles between San Diego and LA. It’s 2 hours, and fill up before you leave and fill up on your way back.
4. Throw away everything you thought you knew about highway driving because it is a whole new world out there!
5. Don’t get mad at yourself if you miss your freeway exit. The freeway system was designed like a plate of spaghetti. 🍝
6. Stay off the 8, the 5, and the 805.
7. When you’re out, and it’s hot, DO NOT choose milk.
8.No one in California calls it “Cali.”
9. Don’t get directly in front of someone else at the beach who has a surf or boogie board. Cutting off on a wave is bad manners.
10. Coastal living costs more and higher crime.
11. Have a fat wallet.
12. A friend with a couch and 20 bucks.
13. Anticipate that no one will use their turn signals ever🤣
14. Enjoy every minute!
15. You must be rich…
16. Live close to the beach.
17. Nobody uses their blinkers!!!
18. Bathing suit season is nearly year-round.
19. Traffic laws do not apply to bicycles.
20. San Diego and Hell-A are NOT the same.
21. Do NOT honk your horn when the light turns green. This drives us frickin nuts. Use a horn only to avoid accidents.
22. Sunscreen…even on your feet. And a hat.
23. If/when you meet an “energy healer,” run for your life.
24. Once you get a parking spot near your apt on OB, don’t ever surrender it in the summer!
25. Don’t drive when it’s raining… your life depends on it.
26. Carne Asada Fries are life!
27. Make a lot of money. That’s pretty much it. Oh, and stay off the freeway between 4:00-6:00.
28. Prepare to live 5cm from your neighbors and pay entirely too much money 🤷🏼♂️
29. Be very mindful of time. You want to avoid getting on the 805S from UTC anytime past 2:30. A 20 min drive will take an hour.
30. Move in the wintertime.
31. Don’t go into the ocean after it rains.
32. SD drivers are more aggressive freeway drivers than LA.
33. Not all taco shops are equal.
34. Prepare to die when merging on the 5, 15, or 805.
36. Fast lane is 80+ only. If you want to go 60-70, then move over. There are plenty of slower lanes to choose from.
37. CHP is nonexistent on the freeway, so you’re on your own. Head on a swivel.
Featured Image: Shutterstock